Sunday, July 5, 2009

What I observed while watching mindless television

First of all I want to preface by saying that I was extremely bored and had a few drinks in the sun. But I was skimming through the channels and up came Woman's Beach Volleyball. The reason it caught my eye even though I hate volleyball was the women scantily clothed in small bikinis that exposes half of the butt cheeks. As the camera panned around the crowd, there were promotional girls that were also scantily dressed. Not only is this a poor ass attempt at gaining more viewers and sponsors, but it degrades women and lessens the accomplishment of female athletes. The female athletes that compete in this league are some of the best athletes in the world and the fact that they are just objects to some takes away from the competitive nature. Along with this act of objectifying women to further the league viewership and making more money, Indy Car racing did just the same thing with Danica Patrick. Danica Patrick is a marketing and promotional ploy to bring interest into a boring sport. I had to change that channel because I almost fell asleep. Looking further into the Danica Patrick discussion, she lets herself be objectified by the website Godaddy.com. Also appearing in Maxim and other magazine with little clothing on. Who is to blame for these obviously tasteless marketing? Is it the marketers? The fans(Who is buying the materials/watch the program)?

I think it is the marketers but they are just people trying to come up with original promotions but all they can think about is sex. Are we that simple of a culture that sex sells and we are buying the shit out of it? Yes, I believe we are. Look at the movies that have been coming out in the last few years, not so good if you look deeper into the movies. I just do not know if the current trend will end unless we all open our eyes and remain conscious at all times. But people do not like to think much anymore or argue about things, they become too offended.

2 comments:

  1. Chris discusses the point that professional female athletes such as Danica Patrick are being degraded and objectified by advertising techniques used to stimulate viewer interest in female sports. Many sources can be blamed for this form of publicity; principally individuals in marketing are to accept the fault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I certainly sympathize with your aversion to an unhealthy objectification of women, I think appreciating a body does not always qualify as unhealthy or even disrespectful. Athletes, typically are appreciated as physical specimens, and our admiration is based on their physical accomplishments. I disagree with your assertion about Danica Patrick: "She lets herself be objectified..." I think part of the problem with objectification is the powerlessness or passivity of the one being observed, but it seems like Patrick has flipped this on its head, and took control of how she is observed, in effect, empowering herself.
    Do you think if we "open our eyes and remain conscious at all times" that we will stop liking and pursuing sex?
    I think this could be a fun thread, thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete